Sep 18, 2008

Fairy Tales Can Come True, It Can Happen To You

Last night, I achieved something I've dreamed of since I was about 8. I started my paid church singing gig with a pot luck supper and productive rehearsal.

I was damn nervous going in but so I always am when faced with bunches of people I don't know. (People scare the shit out of me.) Fortunately, the music director is energetic and very nice and the people, while not as energetic - which would be difficult!, are very pleasant and very welcoming and willing to answer my logistical questions (parking validation, robes, rehearsal times, etc.).

Having sung in a Catholic church for the last couple years (which I am still doing), it's nice to be back to "real" music. Actually, our music director at P&A does try to work in some real music and we've a lovely Palestrina piece we're working on so that's not really fair. Still, music in the latter day Catholic church is, predominantly, schlock (which I've always thought is a real shame - they have such a wealth of beautiful, beautiful music, centuries worth, for Pete's sake! - and they do schlock). Tthe congregationalists are a little more classical. It's also nice to be singing SATB again. Actually, with singing both at P&A and Center Church, I get the best of both worlds this way - I'm singing SSAA (women only) at P&A.

All in all, it was a really positive experience - and, other than the fact that I have to then work until 2 a.m. to make up for starting at 10 p.m., I think I'm going to enjoy this.



P.S. I admit it, I'm doing the Achieved My Dream of Being a Professional Musician Happy
Dance in my office chair this morning!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Congratulations to you!

Jade said...

Congratulations!

Um...

...can you explain the P&A and SSAA & whatnot that you just wrote for the choirly challenged viewers? I'm a little lost.

PeppyPilotGirl said...

LOL - sorry! I've been immersed in that world so long it's just second nature!!

P&A actually isn't choral - but stands for St. Patrick - St. Anthony Church: http://www.spsact.org/Ministry%20site/SPSA/Worship/TrebleClef.MPG - song's a little cheesy - ok, the song is a lot cheesy but you can hear us at that URL.

SATB = soprano, alto, tenor, bass - four parts, both genders.

SSAA = soprano, soprano, alto, alto - four parts, all treble voices(women, generally)

smileymamaT said...

Wow hey hey congrats!
Holy cow, I guessed right on the SATB. Imagine.

That is so fantastic for you, what an accomplishment. And I can't imagine the little one is off to preschool? Phew time goes by quick, huh. My oldest is going to be 16 in the spring. Oy vey.

Amanda said...

Oh, congratulations! I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

I'm also a little jealous. (More than a little.) I didn't know you could get paid to sing as a part of a church choir! Maybe that just doesn't happen around here...

In any event, here's a mental happy dance in your favor!

Not-as-relevant:

I hope your young'un is really enjoying preschool!


And this is something totally unrelated, but if you've got time for a short read (we're talking 127 pages of size-14 and generous spacing), I think you might enjoy Dave Marinaccio's "All I Really Need To Know I Learned From Watching Star Trek." It had some good light humor in it, and it served as a great reminder for some of the basic life lessons we can find in sci-fi. I picked it up for part of my research project and really enjoyed it. (:

PeppyPilotGirl said...

Thanks, everyone!! We had our first service Sunday a.m. and it seemed to go well though, yeesh, I'd forgotten how hot polyester choir robes are! (My "home" church doesn't use them.)

Amanda, I didn't realize until after I was married that people got paid to sing in choirs. Hang in there, sing, and you never know!! (Helps to read the ads too - I found the ad for this in the arts calendar section of our newspaper.) - I've heard of the ST book; I'll have to pick it up sometime!!

SMT, yep, my oldest is a preschooler - yow!! God, I'm old!! (And remember, I'm a good 5 or 6 years older than you are - when Katie is 16, I'll be 54. Jeeeeeepers. Ok, that's depressing. I'm going back to drool over the Smart Pen some more!)

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you and getting paid for something you love is so wonderful! After you send me the OTHER pen, we can discuss the Smart pen...Did I tell you that I have never written with a Pelikan!? Damn shame, I think..I feel...deprived? ;)

Anonymous said...

... Ms. Peppy Pilot Girl... how come you haven't mentioned your fabulous women's choir director, Pamela, or your fabulous voice teacher, Christine, huh??? how come??? huh?? what's up with that??? huh????

Signed,

your fabulous women's choir director, Pamela and your fabulous voice teacher, Christine.

p.s. it's up to you to figure out how much we've had to drink.

PeppyPilotGirl said...

Lest I forget, I owe many sincere thanks to my Fabulous Women's Choir Director, Pamela, and my Fabulous Voice Teacher, Christine - each of whom was a fabulous reference and have a great deal to do with me getting the gig. And whom I believe have had a fair amount to drink... (Two advil and two glasses of water before bed, ladies, helps enormously with hangovers...)