Oct 18, 2009

An Overheard Dinnertable Conversation

J: Were you good today?
Katie: I'll be good tomorrow.
J: But were you good today?
K (reluctantly): No.
J: Why weren't you good today?
K: Because I'm going to be good tomorrow.
J: Why weren't you good today?
K (firmly): I don't want to talk about that.
J: Why weren't you good today, Katie?
K: (silence)
Me (from the couch where I'm feeding the baby): Because she 'hates Mommy'.
J: Why do you hate Mommy?
K (cheerfully): Because I like you better!
J: Because you like me better?
K: Uh-huh.
J: Why do you like me better?
K: Because you're not mean to me.
J: What did Mommy do to make you mad?
K: (mumbles something unintelligible)
J: What did Mommy do to make you mad?
K (indignantly): She told me to go back upstairs!
J (ever so reasonably): But Katie, you were supposed to be upstairs.
K: Hmph!

3 comments:

abmyers said...

That would be adorable, if it hadn't actually happened... s:

That duct tape I recommended a couple weeks ago could also form an excellent blockade over her bedroom door, if she won't stay in there...

PeppyPilotGirl said...

I wonder if they sell it by the truckload...

Brightdreamer said...

In art and craft projects, it's the ones that fight you tooth and nail every step of the way that you end up being the most proud with in the end.

Here's hoping the same applies to child rearing...

viverse - the alternate universe in which one has a life.