Oct 24, 2006

semper crescis aut descrescis

I buried Norm's ashes this past weekend. I sprinkled him amidst the loose dirt in a hole I dug to plant the tiny maple tree I grew from seed on my front steps. He's guarding the property now, at the back lot line, as he did when he was hale and in his prime. And, thus, the family decreases.

Yet, the family also increases. We are expecting another baby in June. This child was conceived only a day or two before Norm left us. I can't help but wonder at the timing. Was he here to help us through until our family was complete? Did he hang on until he knew we would be alright? Or is it all merely coincidental?

Fortune wheels us down and up in her capriciousness.

7 comments:

Brightdreamer said...

Animals can indeed be strange that way... The part of Norm that was still Norm might very well have hung around until it was "okay" to go. Sounds like he has a nice memorial tree. (Out here, we have the "Maurice Tree", named for Mom's favorite black standard Poodle. Actually, we've expanded a ways beyond the tree itself... suffice it to say that this property is quite well protected by the ghosts of former pets on the premises.)

LJ said...

I think it was last night or sometime this week that I was thinking of you and Norm and if you had given him a proper burial. How the heck do you ask that of someone? You don't. I wake up today to come read my blogs and here was my answer. I wouldn't doubt if Norm hung on to make sure that K had a little someone to play with. How exciting is that?? Congratulations You're having a baby! You're having a baby!!
*runs to get knitting needles and yarn out of hiding

LJ said...

PS~I want to wish you a very healthy pregnancy!! Big big hugs to you and everyone!!

graymama said...

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!!!

I know how hard you have ttc. This is such a wonderful gift that Norm has helped to give you!

The Norm tree is such a wonderful idea to remember his life :-)

Anonymous said...

I pray that you enjoy time looking at the maple tree and watch it grow

CONGRATULATIONS on the pregnancy

gawilli said...

Graymama sent me over this way to share in your joy! Congratulations!

smileymamaT said...

Congratulations! Maybe when the tree is bigger you could put a small bench there and have a quiet spot to sit and reflect, or remember, or watch your children play.....wishing you the very best!
-T