Jun 30, 2008

Same Old, Same Old, Less $4,300

Well, I can't say much has changed in the last couple of weeks but it's been a while so I thought I'd better post or y'all'd think I'd taken a bridge or something. I haven't.

What's new?

Well, we got our tax stuff back from the accountant finally (we've been on extension). $4,300. No, we're not getting that back. It has to be paid to the IRS by 7/15. Ok, yeah, I haven't exactly got $4,300 - not quite sure where it's coming from. And the other lovely thing about that? Our quarterly estimated taxes (one of the joys of self-employment) went up by about $2,500 a quarter. And one of the quarters is due now. (Actually, it was due the 15th of June but I paid it today.) Yeah, I'm starting to think that PeppyPilotGirl ain't going to be piloting again in this lifetime at this rate. Maybe I can be a fighter jet pilot in my next life.

We're headed to my sister's for the Independence Day weekend. It's about a 4 hour ride with just adults; about 5 with Katie. I'm figuring I need to add another 1/2 hour for Evie. We'll be staying at my parents where all 4 of us will share a room. Anyone care to guess how much sleep we'll be getting those 2 nights?

Finally sewed my Stargate patches on the black messenger bag I use as a diaper bag. It's always bothered me how cutesy accessories become once you have kids. I'm just not much into cutesy - not only does it not reflect my interests, it looks ridiculous on a woman of my stature (isn't that such a nice way of saying "on a woman as fat as I am?). I think I need to start a website for parents who don't want to have their identities subsumed by their offspring. Anyone having any contributions (photos/ideas/how tos on keeping the geek in their life post children - be it music/gamer/scifi/fantasy/comic book/computer/etc geekdom - drop me an email (peppypilotgirl (at) hotmail.com).

I suppose I really ought to get back to work.

3 comments:

Brightdreamer said...

Ouchie... that's gotta hurt. But, like they say, it could always be worse. At least you know what you're out, and why you're out. (My sister's still trying to figure out both of those - we think the credit union screwed something up to make her owe much more than she really should, but be danged if she can prove it, or get in contact with anyone to tell her more.) And congrats on maintaining some individuality and not making your offspring your excuse; I'm convinced that many parents let their kids dominate their lives simply so they have an excuse not to do things they want to do with their own lives. Not unlike people who let jobs or spouses or churches or whatnot run their lives, actually... but I digress.

Gina said...

I also do not do cutsey well but willingly want to be a charter member of the " Kids joined my life, not the other way around" club. I calculate less than 2,000 days left before the twins turn 18 and press on...Life is lookin PRETTY sweet right about now, lol!

smileymamaT said...

Ow, that's a lot. Whenever I think of going small-business-only I consider all the taxes and legal stuff and that scares me back to my corporate cubicle... pathetic I guess but there it is. By the way, it takes us 7 hours for a 5 hour trip, without fail. Get used to it!
:) Have a good week, and keep the geek! (how way that for my personal geek contribution?!?)