Jul 7, 2008

Panic!

Don't worry, everyone's fine.

We just had a little bit of a scare tonight. I got off the phone and it was strangely quiet in the house.

"Katie, where are you?"

Silence.

"Katie??!"

thump thump thump of footsteps.

"I drinkin' medicine, Mommy!"

The child drank 3/4 of a bottle of children's ibuprofen that I thought was safely out of reach. Needless to say, I called 911 and we spent our evening in the ER of Connecticut Children's Medical Center. First time I've ever been in an ambulance. They took Mommy's pulse to show Katie the finger clippie thingie was nothing to be scared of... 115. Yeah, Mommy had a little adrenaline going. Just a wee bit.

I can't say enough about our town's first responders - they were there within probably 2 minutes of when I picked up the phone - or the children's hospital. They were very good either her and got us all packed up (because, of course, I was home alone with the kids - John was at a wake in New Haven) and in the ambulance quickly.

She showed no ill effects at all, thank God. And we're all home now several hours and much adrenaline later.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Brightdreamer said...

Never underestimate the ability of children or pets to get into things they aren't supposed to... yeesh, that had to have been a heart attack moment. Glad to know everything worked out fine.

1:00 AM  
Blogger smileymamaT said...

OH my God. Phew glad she's OK. Those are words you never want to hear.

My oldest drank sewing machine oil at about 3 yrs old. That was a scary night too. OK then, we all learn that kids can find ANYTHING...

6:48 AM  
Blogger LauraJ said...

Phew!! I'm so glad things turned out for the best. I remember a time way back when Aaron was hospitalized as a wee one, his roomate was a little 4 year old who'd swallowed a bunch of tylenol chewables. All I remember is that poor thing wretching the night away from the charcoal they made her swallow. :(

8:16 AM  
Anonymous harriet M. Welsch said...

How scary! I'm glad everyone is okay!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Greta Adams said...

thank the lord everything is fine...girl....i had an experience on july 4th i care not to have again myself...that post coming soon

big hugs and kiss katie for me....my little sweet cheeks

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home