Dec 11, 2008

Steal Away, Steal Away

Steal away to Jesus...

My friend, Ann, has battled breast cancer for years on and off. I sang with Ann for years in the Springfield Symphony Chorus - we both being part of the cadre of BRAs (back row altos), known mostly for a rather insouciant attitude (though dedicated musicians) and our irreverent parodies at the SSC banquet at the end of each season - until I moved to Connecticut and she moved to Virginia. Ann sang also for years at the Berkshire Choral Festival each summer. She even made it up there this summer and, by all accounts, had a great time though she was exhausted at the end.

I got a call from her husband this afternoon. A week and a half ago, she decided that the chemo was just too much and it was time to let go. They moved her up to the 4th floor (hospice) and made her comfortable as possible. Tuesday afternoon, she lost her battle. She was in her early 60s and leaves a husband, grown children, and an adorable set of grandchildren.

She was a woman who loved her family, loved her music, and loved her God. I know that she, truly, has stolen away to Jesus and I rejoice for her in that. It is for us, we left here, I mourn.

Rest in peace, my friend. Know you are loved and missed and ever will be.

8 comments:

Greta Adams said...

i am sorry for the loss of your friend...
breast cancer is something near and dear to my heart...it runs in my family as well...

{{{{big hugs}}}}}

LauraJ said...

A wonderful tribute post. Big hugs my friend. Thank you for the card and pictures of the girls. They are too precious!

Anonymous said...

That was lovely. I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Jade said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend - that's a hard loss. Feel free to call if you need.
*hugs*

Amanda said...

I'm sorry that you've lost your friend, although I am glad that she has gone to less painful place.

Please remember to take care of yourself while you are mourning for her.

Anonymous said...

As long as she is in your heart, she will always live on.

RD

graymama said...

My heart goes out to you <3

PeppyPilotGirl said...

Thank you all very much. I appreciate your thoughts so much.