Mar 31, 2009

Don't Get Around Much Anymore

Missed the Saturday dance

It's been a little crazy here. We got John's dad buried then John went to Miami. Then I went to NY to do a jewelry show. Now we're heading into Holy Week with loads of rehearsals this week and next. I'm still sick. It's been, what, 7 weeks now? 8? But, hey, I'm out of the first trimester as of last Saturday at least, even if I can't breathe.

Heard they crowded the floor

So, I was told a week ago Sunday that my hours at work are being cut 25%. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to still have a job but I'm just not exactly sure how the mortgage is going to get paid without that $500. And what kind of galls me is that the leadership isn't cutting their hours, nosirrreebob. I did the bills today (and isn't that always a party and a half; I can't even drink afterward these days!). The medical bills from the pregnancy are starting to come in. $600 this month. In order to pay on the plastic, I had to pay one of the medical bills with plastic. How seriously fucked up is that?* But, hey, that puts us $600 more toward the $2500 deductible after which all is covered.

(*Just so that everyone knows, the bulk of our credit card debt is from a surprise $7700 tax bill and subsequent doubling of our estimated quarterly taxes (basically, we had $12,000 due to the IRS within 2 weeks of finding out about it) and not from big screen TVs, unnecessary clothes, or fancy cars - I am pleased to report that both cars are paid for, not so pleased to report that our 24" TV (the only TV in the house) is starting to develop a weird line in the middle, and distinctly embarrassed that I've had to stop wearing my tennis shoes out because they're just too holey. We had a nice cushion - that proverbial 3 months all the planners talk about - when he went into his own practice but, funny, how quickly that gets eroded when your income gets cut in half.)

So he's been pushing me to donate more to charity. I'm not exactly sure where he thinks it's going to come from. I had to lay it on the line for him today. I don't like having to do it. He internalizes it and beats on himself for not "providing" better. In fact, I absolutely hate having to do it. He gets depressed about the credit card debt and I always feel like he's blaming me (though I am no more a spendthrift than he is!) simply because I'm telling him what he doesn't want to hear. It's frustrating because I feel like I can't talk to him about it yet I can't talk to anyone else about it either because that upsets him too.

Couldn't bear it without you


Life isn't all bad though - my sister, God bless her, hosted a jewelry party - the proceeds of which should pay much of my jewelry business's expenses for the year. She also, bless her double and her children too!, cut my hair (with her son's round nosed school scissors, even) into a cute little 'do that is a vast improvement over the "D.W. haircut" I sported until she got at me.

I'm looking forward to Holy Week and the Stabat Mater in particular. I really wish I could find a way to record at least my aria. I'd love to hear it - you can never hear yourself properly when you sing.

John's mom appears to be holding up well. She's been moved into a smaller assisted living apartment where, provided the stock market doesn't fall too much further, she should be able to stay without a problem. I was going to call her to come visit tomorrow but Katie threw up tonight so I'm not sure I ought to be exposing an elderly woman to that.

Don't get around much anymore...

Thanks for listening.

5 comments:

LauraJ said...

Big big hugs!

Brightdreamer said...

Ah, yes... the Blame-The-Messenger game... Too, too familiar with it in this household. Finances seem to be one of the worst offenders for household friction; unlike picking up dirty socks, money's not something that can be fixed simply by moving from one room to another.

And of course the top brass don't cut their own hours when the underlings get pared off. Everyone knows you get further with fewer horses and more drivers... those horses just have to work smarter, not harder.

Eh, maybe we all should just chuck it, head into the desert and weave straw hats for mules...

triania - A new medicine designed to relieve economic stress, guaranteed to triple your medical bills.

h. said...

Oy! Just "Oy!".

Anonymous said...

I cannot understand WHY my 11 year old daughter's best friend's family is traveling to Paris this Easter week...Why my nextdoor neighbors just bought a 2009 Mercedes wagon and why my house is the shittiest in the whole complex? I try to teach my kids the value of money and working, but seriously, I just wanna throw my hands the fuck up and give up...
I sO feel you on the tax situation and stuff...Mamma Sweden wants her tax money UP FRONT and you have to predict your income and pay taxes monthly accordingly...Failure to do so or predicting on the under side will get you MAJOR penalty...

Don't fret...I had to pay for my OCD med with plastic this morning...That was after trying to go 5 days with out it, waiting to be admitted in the hospital on Monday, for my knee surgery...
Hugs from your sister from another mister...Please take care of Nana...

smileymamaT said...

Ahh. Wow, yeah. Totally. Not much better here (still paying big $$ monthly on an old tax penalty I got JUST for working full time in the US while living 5 min over the Can. border... although I am American.. Canada does not want you making money elsewhere so they slap you with a bill)... Wish I could come over and visit in person over coffee. Maybe all us bloggers, visiting over coffee... Then we could hash it all out in person and feel a lot better. :)
Glad to hear about the jewelry show, though.