Apr 12, 2009

Hail, thee festival day!

Last Tuesday, as we were rehearsing for Friday's concert, a man came into the church. Nobody thought much of it at first: when the church is open, a lot of homeless people use the bathroom. But, then, he wandered down the aisle, looking for something or someone. As the director was busy with the strings, our soprano section leader headed him off. He handed her a card with some writing on it and she drew him to the back of the church, talking to him as they went.

She took him to the door and next door to the Center for Urban Ministry and returned to her place. I asked if he needed a priest. She said he needed a lot more than that but that's what he was looking for.

His face was so sad, so desperate that I haven't been able to forget him and I've worried a lot this week about this man I never met but only saw - like I worry about a lot of the people I read about in RD's blog.

I very much hope that, on this anniversary of the Lord's resurrection, he finds what he needs.

Happy Easter, sir. May you find hope and peace and, yes, some joy as we celebrate the great Alleluia.

2 comments:

Harriet M. Welsch said...

Happy Easter to him and to you and your family!

LauraJ said...

Happy Easter! I will forever remember you and your little one in your Easter finery two years ago. :)