May 13, 2009

Today

All went well, thank goodness, though I suspect Evie's enmity toward Dr. Valdez may be of the enduring variety. The nurse told me they do 50 ear tube surgeries a week - a week!! It was quick and the hardest part (for me) was restraining her little hands as she tried to pull the anesthesia mask off. But then she went to sleep and I trotted my tearful person out to the bathroom and it was over almost before I got back.

I really don't know how parents whose children have to have "real" surgery take it. LJ, my hat's off to you!!

So, there's a family waiting room where you're supposed to wait. And the waiting room has a monitor who checks you in. And the monitor has all the warm fuzzy demeanor of a middle school gym teacher. I swear, it felt more like detention than a place for anxious parents! (Though I don't suppose detention offers coffee and tea...) It just struck me kind of funny. Everyone else was so nice and friendly, including the nurses in recovery who have to listen to wailing children all day, and the waiting room monitor was as dour as a Scotsman who's had his golf clubs and whiskey taken away!

In other news... the concert tonight went well and I didn't make a fool of myself either in my aria or in the choral bits, fortunately. Always a good thing.

And for those who are curious, the new baby is a boy!


7 comments:

Brightdreamer said...

Congrats on enduring the surgery! The waiting end of it's always the tougher part... And, hey, congrats on the upcoming boy!

babard - A minstrel catering to elephants.

Gino said...

i had to sit with my boy in the emergency room after he busted himself to peices jumping from the top of the slide into the pool, and missing.
he had stitches and casts and bandages all over the place. i feel your pain and anxiety.
it aint no fun. :(
the only thing that kept me from crying was knowing i had to show him it was 'no big deal' so he would calm down.

congrats on the new baby. :)

LauraJ said...

I'm doing so many happy dances I don't know where to start! Happy dance for the surgery going well!
Another happy dance for a little boy!! I love little boys. :)

Harriet said...

So much good news in one post! Hooray for Evie and you and the baby boy to be!

smileymamaT said...

Oh my. glad to hear it went well (for her, anyway, weird about the waiting room monitor, huh?). My little brother had ear tubes - very common as you said. Hope you are doing well and getting some rest now and then. :) T

IWOM said...

Phew. Tell my little muffin that we'll see her soon.

What's the follow up for this procedure?

BTW: you could do one. You could do the other. You could not do both and expect to see the next sun rise. Trust me. I've been around Scots for long enough to know this for sure.

IWOM

PS - Knew it was a boy.

Anonymous said...

Its a boy, you are not a fool in pubic( TIC) and the baby is well...it is truly a good day, eh? Continue to kick ass and take names and wait until this little guy is in boxers before you bring the twins in ;)