Sep 15, 2006

An Unusual Community

Several years ago, shortly after we moved into our house, our town suffered a microburst (a sort of super-but-very-localized thunderstorm for those who aren't familiar with it) which knocked power out across much of the town. It was probably one of the hottest spells we'd had in quite a while and no one seemed to want to stay inside. I was struck then at the sense of community the storm had created. Everyone was out and about, wandering up and down, chatting with neighbors or perfect strangers.

I have been struck these last several days by the number of people out and about wandering from blog to blog in response to the 2,996 project. I am feeling the same feeling of connection I did after that storm and it is heartwarming, as it was then.

No, the terrorists didn't win. Yes, they slaughtered 2,996 innocent people. Yes, they took our innocence. But, you know, as we gathered in our solitude to remember those 2,996, somehow a more wonderful thing happened than a simple tribute; a sense of community burgeoned, swelling to encompass so many.

You who would destroy any who disagree with you, remember this: godliness is not limited to a single religion. But, truly, there is only one faith: faith that the love that is God will see us through the worst and will cleave us together as surely as the destroyers struggle to leave us riven.

7 comments:

graymama said...

Thanks for this post! On that note, I am going to go cuddle up with Hubby and have sweet dreams :-)

LJ said...

I wanted to comment earlier but blogger said you didn't exist. I said like hell she don't! She do! She do!! And now I can post.It is an awesome community this blogging thing everyone's got going on. It's like a movement and we are all trying to make a small difference in one way or another. I LOVE the last line of your post. It IS through God that we will bridge that gap and win.

Robin said...

Something I noticed in watching the different programing about September 11 was that watching recreated those feelings I felt that day. It was an apocalytic surrealistic feeling. It's important to remember because I think it helps us to maintain the oneness in spirit we had after that.

Man has such a deep seated tendency to get wrapped up in himself and, for once, he stepped outside his selfish little circle to embrace his neighbor in the spirit of brotherly love and patriotism. I hope we never go back to how we used to be (selfish and self-centered) because then all those innocent people died in vain.

I'm sorry I didn't have someone to remember but the testimonies of those who lived in spite of their circumstances were inspiring.

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it." 1 Timothy 6:6

Gina said...

Beautiful post! I was so devistated that we had no connection!!! Even if I had my site, I searched high and low and could find no other information... To add insult to injury, Sweden has lost it's license to broadcast Fox news so all we get is CNN /Deutche something or another and All of the were the european edition that offered none of the tributes I would expect that originated in America...

Anonymous said...

well written
It was a good way to remember and remember we must

Anonymous said...

That costume sounds absolutely adorable and perfect. You should absolutely not feel bad about not making a costume. This is the first year I am attempting a homemade costume, in part because we have always found cute and inexpensive prefab costumes that were better than any that I with my underdeveloped crafting gene can accomplish.

smileymamaT said...

Hi, thanks for the comment. I have about 20 Barbies now living by the tub, but about 30 more still "in the closet". Ha!
Your last post was very thought-provoking. I enjoy your writing and will be back to visit again. Hope you have a good day.-----T