Feb 21, 2007

The Weights

Ok, Cazzie!!, this one's for you because you asked! No suing me, please!

I do a weight routine. I'm supposed to do it 5x a week. I usually manage 4x but I'm figuring that's pretty good considering there's only so much Baby Einstein I can get Katie to watch -- particularly since the only ones that hold her interest are Baby DaVinci and Baby Beethoven! It's only supposed to take 10-15 minutes but it pretty much always takes me 20. Some of us never lost the physical ineptitude that plagued us growing up. It's boring and painful but I do it. I'm making some very slow progress. I used to do an hour (well, it was supposed to be an hour but it took me an hour and 20 -30 minutes) 3x a week but I just can't find that much time in a chunk to do something so torturous.

3 sets of 10-15 reps each

Day 1:
Reverse lunge (like a forward lunge from most exercise tapes but backwards instead)
lateral dumbbell (DB) raises (hold arms at sides while gripping DB, raise straight out/up to shoulder height, and down.)
Stability ball (SB) chest fly (lay with your back on the stability ball (one of those big exercise ball thingies), hold the DB with your arms straight out to either side, raise them up to meet in teh center (your arms should swing in a big arc and still be straight when they meet up.)
Pelvic tilt cruch with legs in air (lay on your back on the floor, hands behind your head in the "traditional" situp position and your legs raised up vertically (they can be bent, that's ok). Now, tilt your pelvis up (a/k/a tuck your bahooty in) and lift your shoulders off the floor at the same time.)

Day 2:
Cone touch with DB (stand on one foot with something that's about 1 ft - 18" high in front of you. With a DB in either hand, bend over and try to touch the something with the hand that's opposite of the foot that you're standing on - i.e., if you're standing on your left foot, try to touch the something with your right hand.)
SB Pushups with pike (still unclear on the pike part of this - the basic SB pushup... lie face down on the ball, the ball should be under your hips, with your hands on the floor. Do push ups.)
Upright row with squat etc., etc.
Kneeling donkey tuck

Day 3:
tube twists
side lungs
archery row
SB lying tricep kickback (another one I'm still unclear on)

Day 4:
Step-ups w/bicep curl using DB
Alternating T-bridges
Lat pull downs
Back bridge using SB

Day 5:
Stiff leg dead lift
Russian twist
squat press
SB swimmer w/DB

I was going to describe all of them but it's getting late and I'm getting tired and I have lots of work-work yet to do so that's all she wrote for this time, folks. Suffice it to say, if you can do the exercise easily, your weights are too light. Unfortunately.

3 comments:

graymama said...

Holy Shit! I am exhausted just from reading that. You go girl!!!!

Jade said...

One of the things I enjoy about having joined a gym is that I can use the machines without having to think too hard about it.

The stability ball is called the "swiss ball" in our gym, and I love that bloody thing. I have one at home that I bought for pilates... I've been told I should sit on it instead of a chair when I'm at my desk, but I need to blow it up so it's tall enough for me to reach. We also purchased tube things that can go in the door frame for resistance work at home, and a Bosu ball (half swiss ball on a platform thing, you can stand on it - what a fun new torture) Generally I tend to feel pretty good when I'm done exercising, then I see some guy at the gym doing pushups with his hands on a Bosu ball, one foot on a Swiss ball, and the other held out in space but perfectly paralell to his other leg... as if on an invisible swill ball. What the fuck is THAT?!?

Cazzie!!! said...

Thanks so much for letting us see what you do for routine. It is such a good idea as it creates stronger bones too, and wards off osteoperosis. Kudos to you.
I am still exercising daily, even twice daily, pushing myself along the way.