Apr 19, 2007

A Few of My Very Best Memories

Yesterday, you got one of my worst memories. I need to go to bed shortly but I'd like to share a few of my very best memories - take them for what they're worth.

  • I'm in college. I hadn't been for ages and finally stopped worshipping St. Mattress and got my ass out of bed to go to St. John's Episcopal where I belonged. I'd been feeling really stressed out, under the gun. I walked out of that church after the service feeling like an enormous weight had been lifted off my shoulders. That day, God ceased being an abstract.
  • I'm in grad school in Rochester, NY, and singing with the Eastman-Rochester Chorus. We're doing Handel's Messiah (that season, we did the entire Messiah, the Resurrection Symphony, and the entire St. Matt) with the Eastman Philharmonia in the Eastman theatre. Now, you have to understand that I grew up outside of Rochester and went to this annual performance of the Messiah more than once. I remember overwhelming thrilled and astounded to be on *stage* and not in the audience. I've sung some beautiful stuff in some lovely places but that is, hands down, my favorite musical memory.
  • I'm in 9th grade and the school year is drawing to a close, bringing the 9th Grade Banquet (a Very Big Deal) with it. I knew that my folks were deciding each month whether to pay the mortgage or the electric bill; I knew that we had a vegetable garden not just to teach us kids to weed. I was in Ames with my dad and we walked through the teenage section and I saw a dress that I would've killed to own. Didn't say anything, just looked at it, fingered the fabric, then followed my dad. My dad... (I'm getting all teary eyed here), my dad who is as typical a clueless guy as they come... my dad remembered which dress it was and he and my mom bought it for me to wear to the Banquet. This is my very favorite memory of all.

6 comments:

LJ said...

that last one is a vaery sweet memory.
I always wonder what kind of memories I'm creating for my little nieces and nephews. I'm doing my best to make good ones for them.

(ps-how's Little Girl doing with the quilt I sent? Are they best friends? Do you mind to send me a photo of the two of them? I'd like to make an album of quilts with thier recipients.)
have a great day!

jessielavon@yahoo.com said...

IT'S A FRONT PORCH PARTY!
I am going to have a front porch party on the morning of April 30th.
so come on over and sat a spell.
bring your mountain dew ,coffee or what ever,cracker pie or anything else even art work. Just bring y'alls selvs.
ALL Y'ALL HAVE TO DO IS LEAVE A COMMENT TO THIS POST BETWEEN TONIGHT AND BY 8 A.M ON THE 30TH AND I WILL DRAW A NAME ON THE 30TH AND THE WINNER WILL GET A FREE PAINTING OF CHOISE.
TITLES Y'ALL CAN CHOOSE FROM ARE ON MY EARLY POST A FEW WAYS DOWN POST THAT SHOWS ALL MY WORK.
IT WILL BE A 11"X 8" SO LEAVE THEM COMMENTS SWEETPEAS.
FOR EVERY 50 DIFFERENT COMMENTS EACH A DIFFERENT PERSON/BLOGGER THERE WILL BE A WINNER UP TO 200 COMMENTS.. LETS GET READY FOR A PARTY DARLINGS.
oh a added thoughts,bring yourselvs,art ,photos,creative,lemonaid,garden hat anything at all and I will share the photos afterwards. I will have the table set with mountain dew,coffee,chocolate truffles,pans of beans to shell ,art and anything else I can think of between now and then.

The drawing will be right after I have my meds,see to my auggie and tucker and my garden. I am having so much fun I dont know which way I am going,CAN Y'ALL TELL I LOVE GETTING COMMENTS! ebay is loaded,I just added aceo cards and paintings.COME SEE ME UMDER purple*cucumbers over there.

Greta Adams said...

girl you had me tearing up on the memory of your dad and the dress...

:)

smileymamaT said...

Ah, he remembered...that is just the greatest ever.
T

Jade said...

That is sweet, about the dress... I'm picturing the look on Mattew's face when he gives Anne of Green Gables the dress with puffed sleeves. :)

smileymamaT said...

wow you must be as busy as I am right about now...just checkin' in to see how you were!
T