Oct 2, 2008

Irony Writ (Literally) Large

On my way home from choir last night, the highway's closed down from 4 lanes to 1. I'm following a vehicle plastered with militant liberal bumper stickers. Does it strike anyone else as ironic that the vehicle was a massive SUV or that the person was driving like an aggressive idiot?

Put your money where your mouth is (which, apparently, is not around meat, eggs, milk, or any other animal product) and drive a car that isn't the size of a small nation, ok?

Now, I should say that I have no problem with people eating however they choose or supporting whoever they choose (as long as they don't insist on my eating or supporting the same way) or plastering their car with bumper stickers (gives me something to read in traffic jams); my problem is with the hypocrisy.

I should also say that I'm just about as bleeding heart as they come. Which is probably why this bugs me so much. We liberals have such a bad rep anyway; let's not add hypocritical assholes to the list, ok?

6 comments:

LauraJ said...

hear hear!

Amanda said...

You know, that's how I felt when I was reading about some $200,000 outfit Cindy McCain wore to the opening of the Republican Convention... I prefer to choose candidates I like based on their policies rather than the party, but I was so bemused at the fact that she would spend such a ludicrous amount on an outfit, when democrats are accused of being "rich jerks."

Brightdreamer said...

Maybe she bought the SUV because she had too much to say for a compact bumper...

Gina said...

I thing that anyone that has an outfit that costs $200,000 should be funding relief efforts in small countries or making Kiva loans...I'm jus sayin...

smileymamaT said...

Well said. Ha, brightdreamer's comment was funny...
I like reading bumper stickers in traffic. One of my favorites was something like "It's not paranoia if they really ARE out to get you"... anyway, I digress as usual...
I agree with your post, though!

Amanda said...

Hi PPG!
I've tagged you in my latest blog post, because I look forward to reading seven interesting facts about you! ;) Do it at your earliest convenience, or not at all if you prefer, but... you have been tagged, regardless!
Ominous noise goes here.