Feb 19, 2009

The Most Useful Onion

Ok, so 3 people recently have mentioned Greek yogurt to me - how it was really high in protein (20 grams per cup) and didn't have the mouth feel of regular yogurt (shudder). Eventually I do usually figure out when fate's trying to bonk me over the head so I bought some. Ok, more accurately? I shamelessly batted my eyebrows at my husband who bought some.

Ok, I couldn't eat this stuff just out of the tub but neither could I eat sour cream just out of the tub. That said, this stuff is pretty darn useful. We got the fat free version - and, basically, it tastes and "feels" like sour cream and not like yogurt. Ok, so this is a plus but what to do with it? Add an enormous onion and make dip.

500 g tub of fat free Greek yogurt
1 large sweet onion - diced rather more finely than I did and sauteed in as little olive oil as necessary to keep it from sticking.
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix it all together. Voila - a fake French onion dip that's much lower in fat, has a bunch of potassium and Vitamin C (thanks to the onion), and a ton of protein. Whee!!

And, yes, I was good - I ate it with lowfat crackers instead of with the Fritos Scoops I really wanted... ;)

2 comments:

LauraJ said...

yeah but you're pregnant! you're allowed to eat the scoops!

smileymamaT said...

omg that sounds so very very good.. but with my tummy issues, if I put that onion and that yogurt together this means about a half hour of bliss but NOBODY will want to sit near my desk at work for the next 2 days. LOL...... guess I'd better pass.