Jun 21, 2010

Thursday Looms

like that proverbial bulwark never failing.

It looks like Thursday at 5:45 is a go. I have an accompanist lined up.

The audition is pretty typical and should last about 20 minutes.
Two pieces in contrasting styles, one in English, one in a foreign language.
Sightreading
Intervals
Memory testing (i.e., adjudicant plays a phrase, auditioner repeats it)
Vocalizing to determine range and tambre.

I'm doing "Ah, Mio Cor!" (Handel) for the foreign language and a John Duke piece called "Give Me Your Hand" for the English. I actually did the Duke piece for my senior year jury in college. I like both pieces a lot, which helps, and they both suit my voice. I still struggle a little with cramming "puoi" (poo-oh-ee) all into a 16th when a 1/4 note = 104 bpm but, hey, at 104, it'll go by so fast maybe the adjudicant won't notice if it comes out "poy" instead, right?

I've been working my intervals (anybody have a good memory aid for a downward m6 and M6?) and practicing (as much as one can by oneself) sightreading and memory.

The goal for the next few days is to get lots of good sleep and not get sick in between now and Thursday. Of course, when one is focused on how much one needs to stay healthy, psychsomaticism can strike so I'm also downing a boatload of immune support crap. And trying to think positively. I want this a lot but, you know, if I don't get it, I don't get it and it's not the end of the world. I'll still have a family to go home to, a day job (well, night job) -bleah - to do, and people that love me. Now, just remind me of that Thursday evening!

Any and all positive thoughts, prayers, strengthening vibes, etc. are appreciated!

2 comments:

Harriet M. Welsch said...

You will be awesome and I'll be thinking about you. The theme from "Love Story" opens with a downward (then upward) m6. I can't think of a downward M6 off the top of my head, but an upward one is the first interval of 'My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean." Maybe you can just turn it around? Good luck!

h. said...

You can so totally do this! I can't wait to hear about it all when we see you in a couple of weeks.