Dec 3, 2006

21 Day Challenge | Day 19 | Who Will Care for Her

19. Who Will Care for Her / The Ortiz Stabbings

Her picture is wild-eyed,
frantic.
She stabbed her babies,
three of them,
multiple times.

And called her
boyfriend’s mother
to say,
“the children are dead.”

The tears form a
torrent
down my face.

How can she not realize how
much beyond value,
how
sacred,
each of those fragile
bodies
is?

How can she
erase
those tiny
souls?

The children
will
live
and their
grandmother
will care for
them.

I am
lucky.
Though my pain
will not
vanish
altogether,
I will live
and people
will care for
me.

But who will care for
this girl,
when she
realizes
what she has
lost?


Courant Article re: Ortiz Custody Hearing

2 comments:

Robin said...

How sad is that? What a memory to have to live with!

smileymamaT said...

Oh, God, I had not seen this....who will take care of her, indeed.....when she realizes.
T