Mar 7, 2008

MS Word SUCKS!

In oh-so-many ways, of course, but I just need to vent about one in particular.
  • "Its" is a possessive, meaning that the object being discussed belongs to the subject It.
  • "It's" is a contraction for "it is".
Why, then, does Word always do that little green grammatical underline when I use "It's"?? As in, "I've attached blah-blah-blah. It's labeled Chapter 12." Right-clicking on the underline produces the demand that I change "It's" to "Its" which is simply, damn it, WRONG! Not that this is the only grammar error contained in that most rancor-raising of software programs, but it is (IT'S!!) the one that's irking me most at the moment.

Whose bright idea was it to let computer programmers be the arbiters of grammar??

Ok, I feel better now. Mostly, at least.

7 comments:

Corra said...

Hi, just thought of saying Hi as I passed by! :)

I have that wonder to of how MS Word handle "It's", most of the time I'd just click and let MS Word correct it lol... couldn't care less sometimes.

Have a good weekend will ya? I shall see you around!

Corra

Brightdreamer said...

Hmm... I entered that original phrase into my copy of MS Office Word 2003, and it cleared the Spelling & Grammar check as it was. I then removed the apostrophe, and it suggested I add it back when I ran S&G. (I have the check-as-you-type option disabled, though, so I don't have to fool with those annoying squigglies; it only checks S&G when I hit F7... maybe that makes a difference?)

Anyway, with everything else going wrong, you don't need your word processor adding to your stress. Hope you get the thing beaten into submission.

Robin said...

Yes, it's a pain in the butt.

Anonymous said...

I agree! Plus, (since we are on the subject of stupid software) WHY in hell does stupid Yaho? ask if you are SURE that you want to delete the stuff you just hit delete for as if you were too stupid to know that you highlighted and deleted the aforementioned items...It constantly burns my arse up!!! No response from Yahew? by the way when I pointed it out.

smileymamaT said...

in general, just let yourself remember that we are smarter than computers (well, mostly... ok maybe not)... but we're better at grammar!!!

:) T

Anonymous said...

It is April 2011 and I am pleased to report that MS Word STILL SUCKS

The assignment to revise and update a document here at work is quickly becoming a morass from which I have will never escape. Venting will help....I hope.

Chuck

PeppyPilotGirl said...

@Chuck - We've just switched to Office 2010 at work and, yes, MS Word still seriously sucks. Alas, I've found that venting helps only with the frustration level and not with the escape. Good luck!!