Jun 22, 2006

Does It Say Colonel Anywhere On My Uniform?

Another blow against mommydom, this time by my so-called "family friendly" company. So much for mothers ruling the world!

I work primarily from home. Before I had Katie, I went in to the office one day a week. When I was pregnant, they pleaded with me to keep coming in once a week once I had the baby. I did not think this was a good idea. Still, I agreed... reluctantly.

Last week, my boss told me there had been a complaint and They don't want the baby there anymore. We settled on a much reduced in-office schedule (a couple of hours every other week just after the baby's napped and been fed).

Now, my issue here is not what you would think. I don't have a problem with them not wanting the baby there. It's a business, after all. And while she is a pretty well-behaved baby, even well-behaved babies have bad days. My issue is the way it was handled. I have a real problem with being pushed into doing something and then made to feel like an inconsiderate idiot when I do it!

I didn't think it was a good idea to begin with. I also knew I simply wouldn't be able to do it much longer anyway. Once she starts crawling, there would be no way to keep her safely restrained in an office. But, God forbid I be allowed the dignity of a discussion where I'd be allowed to discuss the situation with my boss.

I also have a problem with the ball-less wonder who tried to let my boss take the flak instead of owning up to making the complaint. (I have a real problem with people that don't have the balls to tell me to my face they have a problem with my behaviour and then to try to make my boss the bad guy/girl? How freakin' rude.) And it's not like we don't know who it was. Oh, he may have tried to stay anonymous but - ha HA! - he was found out by my intrepid coworkers (50-something year old ladies who dote on the baby) and made to feel like an ass. Worse for him, one of my coworkers told one of the senior folks who found it typical and every time he calls for the ball-less wonder, he now asks for the "babyhater". Heh heh heh.

P.S. Ok, so the quote doesn't really fit; I have RDA as Jack O'Neill on the brain. Sue me. ;)

3 comments:

PeppyPilotGirl said...

Yeah... is there some test of idiocy that people have to pass before they get promoted to management? Ya gotta wonder sometimes.

Heh heh... I'm distinctly enjoying the ball-less wonder's discomfort.

Gina said...

That is EXactly why I am no longer in aviation management...No body had the cahones to let me know the deal...everybody blamed the other guy...

Jade said...

I couldn't say this in the forum so I'll say it here with great joy...

fuck 'em.

*grin*