Aug 17, 2007

Misadventures in Banking

Sometimes people just astound, and horrify, me.

I checked my business checking account online last night. Hmm, said I, what is this $165 "check withdrawal"? I'd bought a fair amount of supplies lately so I checked all the invoices - no $165 even. Now, I know that, in the general way of things, $165 isn't considered a lot but, you know, I'm a microbusiness; it's over $15% of my checking account balance so, by now, I've started to get a little concerned.

And, it turns out, I had right to be.

Someone walked into a branch of my bank and withdrew $165 from my checking account. They spelled my name wrong on the slip, the signature doesn't match mine in the slightest, and the driver's license number doesn't match mine. Fortunately.

I am also very fortunate to know the branch manager personally. I can't swear to this, obviously, but I'm pretty damn sure I wouldn't have gotten the help and belief I did from a customer service rep on the 800 number. They'll credit my account with the money (eventually) and they're going to try to track down the thief.

Unfortunately, unless they do catch her, I will probably never know how she got my business checking account number. I don't use but 2-3 of those checks a month and don't carry the checkbook with me. So the simplest conclusion is that either (a) one of the companies/offices to which I wrote a check has a dishonest employee or (b) someone I welcomed into my home copied the number down from where my checkbook sat in my back hall. And the kicker about the second one is that only friends ever get into my back hall. I'd really prefer to believe that none of my friends would be so despicable.

Assuming it wasn't one of my friends (please, God!), and barring anything really bizarre, it was probably, then, either someone at our town tax collector's office or the secretary of the state's office. While that, too, would be despicable, it at least wouldn't be quite so personal. Also, if it is that situation, she's probably doing it to more than just me.

The whole situation just makes me feel slightly sick.

4 comments:

LJ said...

It's not even me and I feel dreadfull sick with all the who could it be's? Betrayal sucks! I know, I lived through an episode in April.

Brightdreamer said...

This really has been a screwed-up week for everyone, hasn't it?

I'd find the theft easier to swallow if it was the anonymous stranger taking advantage of their job's access to information, but then I can't imagine the kind of gall necessary to waltz into a friend's house with the intent of stealing. At least you caught it quick and it's being dealt with. (And what kinda zombies are working the desk at the bank, to blindly hand over money to someone who not only has the wrong license number, but who misspells their own name? Yeesh...)

smileymamaT said...

Oh my Lord that is crazy. Don't they have cameras in your bank, I wonder?

Gina said...

That sucks on SO many levels! If you had just left the Pelikan as I hinted for it...I would not have had to summon the karma of FU individuals to come afteryou..just kidding...That sucks...No matter HOW it happened! Hope you get restitution!