Apr 23, 2006

A Bad Case of Anthropomorphism

Well, the 39th anniversary of my birth (Friday) was really rather uneventful, as was the 2nd anniversary of my attainment of my pilot's license (Saturday).

I got to spend Friday first working, then frantically packing, then riding 6.5 hours in a car with a motion sick 7 month old. Woo hoo. I did get a Cinnabon at the Vince Lombardi Service Plaza though. That was pretty tasty.

Saturday, my mother and I cleaned her attic in preparation for putting their house on the market. It's so hard to throw things away. I am envious of my sister who can pitch just about anything -- no emotional attachment to items she no longer uses. Me, I remember when I used the item and how I felt then and what my life was like. At any rate, Katie is now the owner of her great-grandmother's doll bed, built by her great, great grandfather in 1915, among other family items.

I think that's my problem -- I love history; I love using family things. That and a bad case of anthropomorphism. Forget the secret life of bees... it's the secret life of family heirlooms. It's as if they are more than inanimate objects but are self-aware in my mind. I feel cruel throwing things away. (A plant has to be brown from stem to every last leaf for me to throw it out and even then I feel like a plant murderer!) It also feels like, by rejecting a family item, I am rejecting the family member that used/made the item.

We came home today. (Aren't you just thrilled to pieces?) The trip only took 6 hours this way.

I was going to gripe about my birthday but I think I'll restrain myself. Or at least wait for another post to do it. I'm too tired to work up a full head of steam at the moment.
;-) (You can sigh in relief now!)

6 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

I'm that way too. that's probably why I have one grandmother's kitchen table and the other one's bedroom outfit. I have my mom's doll high chair painted mint green. I think everything was mint green at that grandma's house. The walls for sure. The other grandmother I never knew.

Every so often I get in a guilt free throw mood. This is a good thing.

I still have ashes in a jar somewhere from the last campfire somewhere. Don't remember the occasion at the moment but it was from scouting.

Let's face it. We're hopeless.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Brightdreamer said...

These days, eBay can be an alternative to the dump, but it's still tough to get rid of things. I'm a packrat in a family of packrats, so I understand the trouble of getting rid of things, even if logic tells me that I won't have room for new things without clearing some space. (Just don't use Mom's answer and build a shed whenever you think the house is getting too cluttered. Don't ask how many storage sheds are on our property. Just... don't... ask...)

1:20 AM  
Blogger peppypilotgirl said...

Not asking.

Not asking.

Not asking.

Not asking.

Not... Ok, I can't stand it!! How many??

11:34 AM  
Blogger Brightdreamer said...

By my count, not including structures theoretically used as work areas, there are 12 sheds/storage places. I could be missing a few. And, yes, they're all full. Overflowing, in some cases. When I feel I need a decapitation, I suggest that we may be storing some unnecessary stuff.

2:48 PM  
Blogger peppypilotgirl said...

Wow. I don't think I'd ever be able to keep track of what's in which shed. Decapitation is so messy - and then they'd have to store you... They could add a mausoleum... (ducking!)

9:26 PM  
Blogger Brightdreamer said...

The point of packratting is not knowing where everything is. The point is knowing that, whatever it is, you still have it Somewhere. (That's a polite way of saying that, while we may have crud stored everywhere, darned if we know what the heck it is or why we felt compelled to keep it.)
A mausoleum would be unnecessary. We've got coyotes, crows, and ravens... ;-)

2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home