Jan 11, 2007

What I've Been Up To And Then Some

Be warned... my next post is likely to be both long and rambling on various subjects: the holidays, our trip to Boston, the upcoming year, New Year's resolutions, beginning with trying to conceive again, etc. Well, maybe I'll do a mini-challenge and do take one on each day next week...

In the meantime... as you'll read, we survived the holidays and then some. Yes, SmileyMamaT, I did get my bahooty motated, mostly at least.

And, over the last couple of months, I've picked up yet another new hobby... making jewelery. Taking a leaf from LauraJ's book, I wanted to share!!

First up, the very first stuff I ever made - for my college friend D'Arcy-Jean. (For those who sew, look up her book Fabric Leftovers!!) She looked at one of my favorite necklaces and said, "You know, you could make this." And that, as they say, was that.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
(sterling silver with varied glass beads)

This one is for my sister (who, hopefully, doesn't have my blog URL or she now knows what she's getting for her birthday!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
(sterling silver with rose quartz and two types of glass beads)

And this one is my "baby" necklace. It commemorates both Katie and the Baby That Wasn't. Yet another step in healing.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
(sterling with rose quartz, carnelian, and unakite - the first strengthening love bonds, the second two strengthening fertility and the reproductive system - for maximum effect, I should've made this with gold (good for healing) but couldn't find the alpha beads in gold nor, I suspect, could I have afforded them had I found them).

Speaking of healing... I am slowly moving forward with the poetry book. I am in the process of trying to take and choose photographs to accompany the poems. If you are willing to act as a photo-editor for this in a bit (will probably involve looking at a lot of photos online and comparing them with the poems in a PDF or word processing document), drop me a line, would you? (Jade, I'm tagging you on this one in particular - I know you're busy but you're *good*!)

That's all for tonight, folks! Same bat channel tomorrow! (er, or Saturday or, maybe, Sunday or Monday...)

8 comments:

graymama said...

I am so giddy to see that you had posted :-)

The jewelry is AMAZING! Truly it is!

It looks like you found a new hobby and ran with it, just like I have done with knitting.

If you want to know more about different types of stones and their properties, let me know. I own what some call "the stone bible."

Also do you read Newt's blog? She is a jewelry maker, and a very special woman. I think you would like her a lot :-)

I am just so happy to see you back!!!

{{{{peppypilotgirl}}}}

LJ said...

I'm a bit clueless but did I send you a book and you took a page out of it?
The jewelry is fantabulous!! Oh I bet you have lots of fun with all those itty bitty parts. Pliers are so much fun to work with! No really they are!! Aren't hobbies fun??
I'm extremely happy to see you posting. I'm happier that you made it through the holidays. And I'm happiest you are healing.
I'm going to look into that book, it sounds right up my alley!! Because the packrat that I am, I keep everything, scraps an all!!

Jade said...

Woo hoo! I'm telling you... come here and we will go to Shipwreck Beads... we will have to drag DL out with us, I bet she could find good stuff to play with there too!

The jewlery is AMAZING! I did bead stuff in high school, but it was all with seed beads, flower necklaces and such (I still have half finished projects too!) You are inspiring me to get off my cold-recovering butt and get my scrapbook area clean so I can move forward with fun projects. :)


I'd be happy to help edit for you!

Newt said...

Hello there! Thanks for stopping to say hello. Your work is just gorgeous. I haven't braved metal work. I either string or weave. I love to make things in peyote stitch or right angle weave. And I dabble in clay. Sporks for Tink (if you read her blog) are about the most adventurous clay thing so far.

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous things! I'm very impressed. Email reply coming soon -- AJ's out of school for a 4 day weekend, which means no time for email.

Robin said...

Cool stuff! I was looking at the beads at Hancocks on the down time. Very pretty stuff but I don't need another hobby. LOL Think I'll let you be the Queen of Jewelry making. I'll stick to the sewing and machine embroidery.

G has done some jewelry so we have beads and tools.

Molly said...

Your jewelry is fabulous. This is my first visit. I noticed in your profile that Ladyhawke is a favorite movie. That is a fun movie.

Gina said...

I gave up looking for a while and wa-la! I missed a post! I love the jewelery and want to know when you start accepting orders!