Nov 25, 2006

21 Day Challenge | Day 10 | Second Child

Second Child

My first child is
a daughter,
adorable,
adoring.

She was
unnaturally kind
and good
last week.

She is
social,
and sociable,
and havoc incarnate.

My second child will not scream
or cry
in despair
or hunger
or need.

My second child will not toss
the books off the shelf
over
and over
again.

My second child will not
request milk when
fishy crackers
are desired.

My second child will not
grab my hand
or stand, arms raised, to be
picked up
at the least opportune time.

My second child is dead.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

{{{hugs}}}

Anonymous said...

Still reading. Of course, we have no words...your words say it all.
Thinking of you.
-T

graymama said...

I find it strange to comment on your poems because they are the words that are helping you heal, but today I realized they are helping me to heal, too. Thank you!

My April 15th Angel Baby

My first child is dead.
I held his 10-12 week little self connected to its life giving sack under the stream of water that washed away the blood and my dreams.
We named him Beloved.
He told my body it could get pregnant.
He paved the way for Buddy.
He gave me tears.
He gave me hope.

Anonymous said...

while it is little help now
your 2nd child you little see in heaven one day
as I will see my 1st born