Nov 18, 2006

A Kindred Spirit

I came across these two passages as I was re-reading Anne of Green Gables tonight and they seemed so apropos to my current situation that I needed to share them. The first, I had been thinking exactly this the other day; the second, just struck me as being so... right for where I am...

In this bit of the story, Matthew Cuthbert (the brother of the brother-sister pair that adopted Anne) has just died. Anne's best friend, Diana, has asked if Anne would like Diana to stay the night.

..."I think you won't misunderstand me when I say that I want to be alone. I'm not afraid. I haven't been alone one minute since it happened -- and I want to be. I want to be quite silent and quiet and try to realize it. I can't realize it. Half the time it seems to me that Matthew can't be dead; and the other half it seems as if he must have been dead for a long time and I've had this horrible dull ache ever since."

Later, Marilla (the sister of the adoptive pair) comes in.

"Oh, just let me cry, Marilla," sobbed Anne. "The tears don't hurt me like that ache did. Stay here for a little while with me and keep your arm round me -- so. I couldn't have Diana stay, she's good and kind and sweet -- but it's not her story -- she's outside of it and she couldn't come close enough to my heart to help me. ..."

3 comments:

LJ said...

I find it heartfilling how books, and songs can express what we are feeling inside to help others understand just a wee bit.
Just reading those two passages I feel just a fraction of the ache that you feel. I once felt those very aches a long time ago yet for a second they were fresh again.
Big big hugs today and everyday.

Robin said...

I agree, Laura. That always amazes me too. I think it is the human condition. At any one point in time others have felt what we feel and when they write they express what we would express if we could find the words.

Love and prayers.

Gina said...

I love Anne of Green Gables and always think of Meagan Follows who played her in the first version I saw. It is so poignant that you should quote that specific passage.